What is Fertility Preservation?
Fertility preservation involves the freezing and storage of eggs, sperm, or embryos in hopes of creating biological children in the future.
Candidates who want to preserve fertility include, but are not limited to, individuals who:
- Undergo gonadotoxic treatment such as chemotherapy or radiation
- Pursue gender affirming treatment
- Like to start or complete their family
- Have a genetic condition which can impair fertility
- Delay having children for any reason
- Keep fertility options open in the future
- Government funding is available for some fertility preservation cycles
- We expedite your referral and fertility preservation treatment process in time sensitive scenarios. Please ensure to specify this on your referral.
The egg freezing process takes approximately two weeks complete. Similar to an IVF cycle, the patient undergoes frequent blood work and ultrasound monitoring at the clinic. Daily hormone injections are given to grow, recruit and mature multiple eggs. Once the eggs have reached adequate maturation, an Egg Retrieval procedure is scheduled to remove the eggs from the ovaries. The eggs are then immediately frozen and stored and can be thawed anytime in the future when the patient is ready to start their family.
You will be given a semen collection kit to produce your sample either in the clinic or at home. An ideal abstinence period of 2-5 days is recommended for this sample. Multiple samples can be frozen to bank sperm.
A Post-thaw assessment is usually performed on the day of freezing. Depending in the quality of the frozen sample, it can be used at a later time for IUI, IVF or ICSI.
At the end of an IVF cycle, usually only one embryo is selected for transfer back into the uterus. Any extra embryos that are made can be stored for future attempts at pregnancy. In addition, any individual wishing to preserve fertility can freeze embryos with partner or donor sperm or egg.
How to get started
Fill out our form and we will be in touch to schedule an appointment for you with one of our Tripod Fertility physicians.
They took great care of me after 11 years of seeing different fertility specialists with no results.