What is a Reproductive Endocrinologist (REI)?

A Reproductive Endocrinologist and Infertility Specialist (REI) is a Medical Doctor with advanced training in the science and treatment of reproductive endocrinology and infertility.

An REI focuses on the hormones and mechanics of conception with advanced knowledge of sperm, eggs, and male and female anatomy. This speciality also centers their expertise around the complex interactions between pituitary and reproductive hormones. An REI is trained in the evaluation of the issues that can interfere with conception and has in depth knowledge of treatments to address these issues.

Reproductive Endocrinologists start training after medical school and complete a residency in obstetrics and gynecology. Specialty training in reproduction after residency requires 2-3 years at an advanced educational and research institute. The fellow in REI works side-by-side with experts in the field, developing clinical expertise in evaluation and treatment of fertility, and researching new areas of reproduction.

An REI will train in laboratory and clinical research techniques, the mechanics and hormones of fertility, and in maintaining a lifelong passion for advancing the knowledge of fertility. After completing a board certification and becoming a fellow at the Royal College of Surgeons and Physicians, these specialists have certification in the highest level of achievement in the field of infertility.

The Society Obstetrics and Gynaecology of Canada (SOGC)

The SOGC is one of Canada’s oldest national specialty organizations. Established in 1944, the Society’s mission is to promote excellence in the practice of obstetrics and gynaecology and to advance the health of women through leadership, advocacy, collaboration, and education.

This organization has grown to over 4,000 members, comprised of obstetricians, gynaecologists, family physicians, nurses, midwives, and allied health professionals working in the field of women’s sexual and reproductive health. For more information, click here.

Most fertility clinics are directed by a reproductive endocrinologist or a team of reproductive endocrinologists. In addition to fertility doctors, a fertility clinic may also have nurses trained and experienced in reproductive medicine, embryologists, sonographers, and other lab technicians on staff.

At Tripod Fertility, we bring a holistic medical team of specialists together to focus on your fertility journey. With extensive backgrounds in REI specialists, dietary, nursing, and sonography, we develop a single, integrated solution to your medical and physical needs.

When should I see a Reproductive Endocrinologist?

Consider seeing a reproductive endocrinologist after you have tried to get pregnant for a year, with no success. If you are over age 35 or feel you may have some underlying fertility issues, you may consider seeing a reproductive endocrinologist after 6 months of trying to get pregnant.

You may want to see a reproductive endocrinologist if you have experienced some of these issues:

• Irregular menstrual periods, no periods, or very painful periods
• Treatment or life experience that may affect your fertility
• More than one miscarriage
• Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)/ Endometriosis
• Male infertility

No matter what infertility means for an individual or couple, one thing that joins these experiences is that the process can be difficult, both physically and emotionally.

Visiting an REI may be the first step in recognizing your infertility issues, finding solutions, and achieving your dreams of starting or growing a family.